Saturday, March 12, 2022

An Overview of Medieval Fashions

     This started out as a handout I created years and years ago to talk about medieval fashions.  As the SCA is emerging from our collective isolation and starting to meet up in person again, we're having small educational meetings.  So, I revisited my old handout and expanded it a bit to provide a brief overview of fashion for folks that are new to studying this era or new to historical re-creation.  

    A brief word about scope:  this was intended to be an overview of Medieval, western European fashions.  So, the scope is basically from the "Fall of Rome" (approximately the 5th century CE) until the later 15th century (which was my arbitrary choice for the transition from the "middle ages" to the "renaissance").  For my purposes, "western Europe" is basically Latin Christendom, even though I start out in pre-Christian times for some areas.  

    The collection of images can be found as a PDF HERE

    I hope that this collection of pictures is helpful!  Most have an indication of where the image came from, so that you can track down more information on them if you choose.  


7 comments:

  1. Re the drawings on page 6, your Figure 25: they were never an Internet article. They're from page 45 of Compleat Anachronist #59, my chapter on Vikings, and my husband drew them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to see if I have CA #59. The person whose work I grabbed the image from credited you at a URL that was no longer functional when I tried to track it back and go directly to the source - which is why I ended up citing her copy of your drawings.

      Delete
    2. I know Charlotte. She is well-intentioned and a good person, and I didn't mind her using the drawings (for the greater good and all), although Dof isn't sure what he thinks of not having been credited. Through human error, my website was off-line for a while last fall, but they've fixed it. So if the URL was to one of my pages, it probably works again.

      "My" C.A., co-authored with Marieke, is "Women's Garb in Northern Europe, 450-1000 C.E.: Frisians, Angles, Franks, Balts, Vikings, and Finns," a blue one with the woman in Eura garb on the cover.

      Delete
    3. I know it's minor, but if Dof would like credit for the illustration, I'll be glad to edit my file. Just let me know how you two would prefer the citation to be phrased.

      I haven't come across an illustration anywhere else that is such a good concise demonstration of the likely possibilities - which is why I grabbed this one for this file. :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for that; it's what I was aiming for when I told him what to draw for the C.A. :-D

    He says he would like to be credited as Greg Priest-Dorman since that's how he's credited in the original C.A. He's not mad at you; he just wishes Charlotte had credited him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My file is now updated. Thanks for the correction.

      Delete